This rich and custardy strata is a sweet breakfast treat. A mixture of butter, maple syrup, vanilla, milk, and eggs surround tender brioche bread punctuated with tart bursts of blueberry. We finish the strata by quickly broiling it to caramelize the sugars on top for a crunchy crisp contrast to the pudding-like filling. For a dairy-free version, substitute soy or almond milk for the cow’s milk and coconut oil for the butter.
Blueberry Maple Breakfast Strata
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups milk, any percentage
- 4 large eggs
- ½ loaf challah or brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes, about 2 cups or 7 oz
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
1) In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp melted butter, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups milk, ¼ tsp salt, and 4 eggs until smooth.
2) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and arrange 1/2 loaf challah in the pan. Pour milk mixture over the bread.
3) Fold 1 cup blueberries into the pan, ensuring each piece of bread is soaked in the milk mixture.
4) Place pan in the bottom zone, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 1 hour
5) After the strata has finished cooking, sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Return pan to your Suvie, and broil for 8-10 minutes, rotating the pan from front to back, until browned and bubbling (watch closely – this step goes fast!).
6) Remove pan from Suvie, cut strata into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 410, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 48g, Total Sodium 570mg, Total Protein 14g