A low and slow cook is perfect for tough lamb shanks that need a lot of time to break down until juicy and tender. A simple, yet flavorful mixture of onion, garlic, tomato, and chicken broth is all you need to braise the lamb. If you want, the braising liquid can be reduced on the stovetop into a delicious sauce. A splash of sherry vinegar adds a burst of fresh flavor that cuts through the rich meat and sauce. Serve your lamb with pasta or soft polenta to round out your meal.
Braised Lamb Shanks
- 2 lamb shanks, trimmed, about 2 lbs total
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1) Pat shanks dry and season all over with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot until just smoking. Add the shanks and sear on all sides until browned, about 6-8 minutes total. Transfer to a Suvie pan.
2) Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion and ½ tsp salt to empty dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, scaping bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
3) Pour broth and onions over lamb shanks. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
4) After the cook, transfer shanks to a serving platter. Skim fat from surface of Suvie pan and stir in sherry vinegar. Pour liquid over shanks (if desired, transfer braising liquid to a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, and simmer until thickened, about 7 minutes). Garnish with parsley and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 4 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 610, Total Fat 36g, Total Carbohydrates 3g, Total Sodium 800mg, Total Protein 70g