This well rounded meal brings together fluffy white rice, crisp bell peppers, and tender tofu in an aromatic and flavorful sauce. We enhance store bought hoisin sauce with garlic, ginger, and star anise for multiple layers of flavor. If desired, add a ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper or ½ tsp red pepper flakes with the sauce in Step 2 for a kick of spice.
Braised Tofu with Green Bell Peppers
- 1 (15 oz) block tofu
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
1) Cut tofu into ½-inch wide planks and spread out evenly on a kitchen towel. Top with another kitchen towel, and weigh down with a heavy pot. Let sit while preparing the other ingredients.
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together hoisin sauce, star anise, ginger, and garlic. Place green bell pepper in a separate Suvie pan and insert into the top left zone of your Suvie. Place rice in a starch pan and insert into the bottom right zone of Suvie.
3) Nestle pressed tofu into hoisin sauce mixture, turning to coat, and insert pan into the top right zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour
Starch: 15 minutes
4) After the cook, combine peppers and tofu in one pan, stirring to gently break the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
Divide rice between bowls and top with tofu and bell pepper. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 440, Total Fat 10g, Total Carbohydrates 89g, Total Sodium 1050mg, Total Protein 18g