This well rounded meal brings together fluffy white rice, crisp bell peppers, and tender tofu in an aromatic and flavorful sauce. We enhance store bought hoisin sauce with garlic, ginger, and star anise for multiple layers of flavor. If desired, add a ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper or ½ tsp red pepper flakes with the sauce in Step 2 for a kick of spice.
Braised Tofu with Green Bell Peppers
- 1 (15 oz) block tofu
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
1) Cut tofu into ½-inch wide planks and spread out evenly on a kitchen towel. Top with another kitchen towel, and weigh down with a heavy pot. Let sit while preparing the other ingredients.
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together 1 cup hoisin sauce, 1 pod star anise, 1 piece ginger, and 2 garlic cloves. Place 1 green bell pepper in a separate Suvie pan and insert into the top zone of your Suvie.
3) Nestle pressed tofu into hoisin sauce mixture, turning to coat, and insert pan into the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High, 1 hour
4) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles) and cover pot with lid. Place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long grain, 1 cup
5) After the cook, combine peppers and tofu in one pan, stirring to gently break the tofu into bite-sized pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6) Divide rice between bowls and top with tofu and bell pepper. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 440, Total Fat 10g, Total Carbohydrates 89g, Total Sodium 1050mg, Total Protein 18g