This delicious vegetarian dish is warm, comforting, and filled with flavor. Beans and lentils absorb flavors from the liquid they are cooked in, which means that a good broth is essential for the success of this dish. Instead of using store bought broth, which can easily overpower the other flavors in the dish, we create a highly flavorful broth with garlic, shallots, and red pepper flakes. After slow cooking, we finish the beans and lentils with red wine vinegar for a touch of acidity, parmesan for savory umami flavor, and chives for freshness.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes instead of broiling in Step 1.
Brothy Beans and Lentils
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup French lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15.5 oz) can white beans, such as navy, cannellini, or great northern
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp minced chives
1) Stir together shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a Suvie pan. Insert into the top of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Rinse and sort lentils. Add to shallot mixture, stirring to coat in oil. Add water and white beans to lentils and then return pan to your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
3) After the lentils have finished cooking, remove from Suvie and stir in red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper.
4) Divide lentils and beans between bowls and top with parmesan and chives.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 580, Total Fat 10g, Total Carbohydrates 91g, Total Sodium 1740mg, Total Protein 36g