Calabria is a region of Italy, at the very tip of the ‘boot’, known for its spicy ingredients. Sous vide steak (you can follow this sous vide steak how to as well) is perfectly cooked in a combination of butter, garlic, and spicy Calabrian peppers. Creamy burrata cheese, tomatoes, and baby arugula are combined for a satisfying side salad. Calabrian peppers definitely pack a punch, so feel free to modify this recipe based on your heat preferences (or substitute the more mild peppadew peppers).
Calabrian Steak with Tomato and Burrata Salad
- 2 (6oz) strip steaks
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup minced Calabrian or peppadew peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz burrata, quartered
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
1) Pat steak dry with paper towels and season all over with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Place steaks into vacuum seal bags along with ½ cup minced peppers, minced garlic, and 4 tbsp butter.
2) Vacuum seal steaks using a vacuum sealer or with our DIY vacuum sealing guide. Place sealed steaks in a Suvie pan, fill with water, and place in the bottom zone of your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
3) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie and drain. Remove the steaks from the vacuum bag(s), pat dry with paper towels, and pour the contents (butter, garlic, and peppers) into a bowl, set the bowl aside.
4) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add steak and sear on both sides until browned, about 30 seconds per side. Remove steak from the skillet and set aside to rest, about 5 minutes, before slicing.
5) Divide steak, arugula, tomatoes, and burrata between 2 plates. Drizzle the salad with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, sprinkle with 2 tbsp chopped basil before serving. Spoon reserved garlic-pepper-butter over steaks or serve on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 877, Total Fat 72g, Total Carbohydrates 14g, Total Sodium 1096mg, Total Protein 43g.