Spicy ginger and earthy carrots are a perfect pair in this classic recipe. We call for turmeric in our recipe, which is slightly unconventional, but it adds additional vibrancy and flavor to the dish. For a silky smooth finish we also call for a touch of baking soda, which helps the carrots to fully soften while slow cooking.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute ginger, shallot, garlic, turmeric, olive oil, and 1 tsp salt in a small skillet over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes instead of broiling in Step 1.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp ground or ½ tsp fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1″ pieces
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp minced fresh chives, to garnish
1) Stir together ginger, shallot, garlic, turmeric, olive oil, and 1 tsp salt in a Suvie pan. Insert into Suvie and Roast at 400°F for 12 minutes or until softened.
2) Remove pan and stir in carrots, water, and baking soda.
Return pan to your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
3) After the cook, transfer carrots and liquid to a blender.
Puree on high for 1 minute, or until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in vinegar.
4) Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with chives, and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 160, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 24g, Total Sodium 1480mg, Total Protein 2g