Fricandó is a traditional beef and mushroom stew from the Catalan region of Spain made with wine and tomatoes. We garnish this rich and hearty stew with an almond based condiment called picada. This dish is best served with a crusty piece of bread to soak up all of the savory juices from the stew.
- 1½ lbs stewing beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped almonds
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1) Add the beef to a Suvie pan. Season with salt and pepper then toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. In another Suvie pan combine remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, mushrooms, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, onion, and 2 garlic cloves. *Broil both pans for 10 minutes stirring occasionally to brown the meat.
*Note: If you plan on scheduling this meal prepare this step on the stove. Sear the beef in a skillet over high heat. Sauté the mushrooms in a separate skillet
2) After the broil, combine the beef and onions into one pan. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, bay leaf, white wine, and beef stock to the pan and stir to incorporate. Load Suvie pan into upper zone of Suvie. Fill reservoir, enter cook settings and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook & Starch Settings
High, 4 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
3) During the cook, make the picada garnish. Combine the chopped almonds, remaining garlic clove, and chopped parsley leaves.
4) After the cook, remove the pan from Suvie. To serve, top the fricandó with the picada garnish.
Nutritional Information per serving ( servings per recipe): Calories 370, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 9g, Total Sodium 200mg, Total Protein 41g