Smoky bacon, creamy cheese, rich brioche, and custardy eggs make this savory strata a decadent addition to your next breakfast or brunch menu. Broiling the strata at the end of cooking gives a crunchy crisp finish that is the perfect contrast to the fluffy, soft filling. Serve with hot sauce for a knockout dish that everyone will enjoy.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until rendered and crisp, about 6 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
Cheesy Egg and Bacon Breakfast Bake
- 4 pieces bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups milk, any percentage
- 2 large eggs
- ½ loaf challah or brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes, about 2 cups or 7 oz
- 1 cup (3 oz) cheddar cheese, grated, divided
1) Place bacon in a Suvie pan, insert into the top of your Suvie, and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not fill reservoir before broiling.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, milk, eggs, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper until smooth.
3) Pour off liquid from bacon pan. Transfer bacon and half the cheese to bowl with the egg mixture. Fill now-empty pan with bread and then pour egg mixture over the bread, stirring to incorporate. Return pan to the top of your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 1 hour
Starch: 0 minutes
4) Once the slow cook has finished, top bread with remaining cheese and broil for 6-8 minutes until browned and bubbling, rotating pan halfway through cooking.
Remove from Suvie, cut into slices, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4servings per recipe): Calories 420, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 23g, Total Sodium 780mg, Total Protein 19g