Power up your morning with this chia seed and banana oatmeal. Not only are chia seeds packed with protein and fiber, but they help to thicken the oatmeal, giving it a firm texture somewhat like banana bread. We shingle the top of the oatmeal with slices of banana that we then brûlée for a breakfast as beautiful as it is tasty. For oatmeal with a looser texture, increase the liquid to 5 cups or stir in a few tablespoons of water or milk just before serving.
Chia Seed Banana Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups water or milk
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, plus 1 tbsp, separated
- 1 overripe banana
1) Stir together steel cut oats, water, chia seeds, cinnamon, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and ¼ tsp salt in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
2) Just before the oatmeal is done cooking, peel and thinly slice the banana on the bias into rounds.
3) Once the oatmeal has finished cooking, remove pan from your Suvie, stir oatmeal to reincorporate, and arrange banana slices over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp brown sugar.
4) Return pan to your Suvie, and broil for 10 minutes until fragrant.
5) Remove pan from your Suvie, divide oatmeal between 4 bowls, and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe) made with water: Calories 260, Total Fat 5g, Total Carbohydrates 47g, Total Sodium 150mg, Total Protein 9g