These unique Spanish-style meatballs are the ideal accompaniment to any tapas spread, or can be served over pasta, rice, or greens for a complete meal. A blend of smoked paprika and cinnamon lend the albondigas a smoky, warm flavor and chopped almonds add an unexpected crunch. We roast and serve the albondigas in marinara sauce for a quick, easy and delicious meal.
Chicken Albondigas in Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup slivered toasted almonds, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 2 cups marinara sauce
1) In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add the garlic, paprika, and cinnamon, and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl.
2) Add ½ cup slivered toasted almonds, 1 egg, 2 lbs ground chicken, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper to the bowl with the onions. Using your hands, gently stir to combine. Wet your hands and form the mixture into meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter; you should have about 30 meatballs.
3) Divide marinara sauce between two Suvie pans, spreading to fully cover the pan. Divide meatballs between both pans. Place pans in Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 25 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 25 minutes
4) Remove pans from Suvie and transfer albondigas to a serving plate, spooning marinara over the top. Sprinkle with extra almonds and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 380, Total Fat 27g, Total Carbohydrates 7g, Total Sodium 710mg, Total Protein 29g.