You don’t have to worry about overcooked rice in this classic dish thanks to Suvie. Cooking the rice separately and stirring it into the soup just before serving ensures the rice retains its shape, while still absorbing the flavorful chicken broth. First we sear the chicken in a hot skillet to develop deep, meaty flavor compounds before slow cooking. The chicken breasts poach in the broth, infusing the finished soup with rich flavor. This recipe can easily be doubled, simply double the ingredients and divide between two Suvie pans.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1) Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken breasts and sear for 1-2 minutes per side until browned. Nestle chicken breasts into a Suvie pan and reduce heat to medium.
2) Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and 1 tsp salt to skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
Add vegetable mixture, thyme, bay leaf, and broth to Suvie pan with chicken.
3) Insert pan into the top of your Suvie. Place rice in a starch pan and insert pan into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
4) Remove pans from Suvie and transfer chicken to a large bowl. Return soup to Suvie to keep warm.
Shred chicken. Divide shredded chicken and rice between serving bowls. Ladle soup over chicken and rice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with dill.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 640, Total Fat 15g, Total Carbohydrates 97g, Total Sodium 1860mg, Total Protein 58g