Chicken Caesar salad is a perennial favorite—crisp Romaine lettuce, tender slices of white meat, Parmesan cheese, and croutons, tossed in a rich, lemony dressing. Original Caesar dressing drew its umami undertones from Worcestershire sauce, but many modern recipes swap in anchovies instead. Chefs love these flavor-boosting salty fillets, which lose their fishiness when incorporated in a dish, but not everyone feels the same. So: to anchovy, or not to anchovy? You’ll find plenty of uses (like this pasta puttanesca) for a tube of anchovy paste, but if you prefer Worcestershire sauce, substitute an equal amount for the anchovy paste.
Chicken Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons
Salad and Croutons
- 2 (7 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp, plus 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 slices country-style or sourdough bread
- 2 medium garlic cloves, halved
- ½ cup Caesar dressing, from recipe below or store-bought
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped, washed, and dried
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated or shaved
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp anchovy paste or Worcestershire sauce
1) Pat chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper. Seal breasts in a vacuum bag with 1 tbsp of olive oil (here is our DIY guide to vacuum sealing). Place chicken breasts in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 155°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 155°F for 1 hour
2) While the chicken cooks, whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) After the cook, remove chicken from packaging and cut into slices. Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and transfer to a clean, dry Suvie pan. Insert into Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, or until golden-brown, flipping bread and rotating pans halfway through cooking. Rub croutons with cut sides of garlic while bread is slightly warm, then cut or tear bread into bite-sized pieces.
4) Just before serving, toss lettuce with two thirds of dressing in a large bowl until well combined. Divide lettuce between 4 plates, scatter with chicken and croutons, and drizzle remaining dressing over. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each salad and serve immediately.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top right zone of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Protein to 155°F for 1 hour”
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 15g, Total Carbohydrates 22g, Total Sodium 400mg, Total Protein 30g