This recipe is a slow cooked version of the traditional and iconic Hungarian dish, chicken paprikash, which uses ample amounts of the recipe’s namesake, paprika. A combination of bone-in chicken thighs, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, sweet paprika, and cayenne make this dish together with effortless ease. The dish is slowly simmered until the chicken is fork-tender and the saucy flavors have melded. The pan sauce is finished right before serving with sour cream for a little added tang. Tender egg noodles are tossed with butter and the entire dish is lightly garnished with fresh parsley.
Chicken Paprikash with Buttered Egg Noodles
- 2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1) Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels and season all over with 2 tsp salt and ½ ground black pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place chicken in the skillet and sear until browned, about 1 minute per side.
2) Divide onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, paprika, and cayenne between two Suvie pans, stirring to combine.
Nestle seared chicken into the sauce and place the pans into the top two zones of your Suvie.
3) Place the egg noodles into the starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 1 hour 30 minutes
Starch: 8 minutes
4) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Transfer egg noodles and butter to a large bowl, tossing until the butter melts and coats the noodles.
5) Place sour cream in a medium bowl, add a few heaping spoonfuls of the pan sauce, and stir to combine.
Remove chicken from the pans and pour the remaining pan sauce into the bowl with the sour cream. Whisk to combine the sauce.
6) Divide noodles and chicken between 4 plates. Spoon sauce over the chicken and noodles and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 686, Total Fat 38g, Total Carbohydrates 63g, Total Sodium 1785mg, Total Protein 30g