We wanted all the delicious flavors in chicken piccata, the tangy lemon, the briny capers, and the buttery sauce, without the hassle of having to dredge and fry the chicken. Luckily, cooking the chicken sous vide and cooking the sauce separately in the Suvie allowed us to create a rich sauce with all the flavors we love – no frying required. You can make the piccata sauce either on the stovetop or by broiling in your Suvie. The stovetop method is quicker, but will require more hands-on work.
- 1 ¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise into 2 flat pieces
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into ½” cubes
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1) Pat chicken dry and season with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp ground black pepper. Cut half the lemon into thin width-wise slices (save remaining half for the sauce). Place chicken breasts in a vacuum bag, overlapping slightly with 1 tbsp butter. Arrange lemon slices between the chicken. Vacuum seal chicken, place in a Suvie pan, and cover with water. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 155°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: None
2) Place egg noodles in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot. Cover the pot with a lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 2 Cups, 8 minutes
3) After the chicken has finished cooking, pour off water from the chicken pan. Transfer chicken breasts to a cutting board, discard lemon slices, and pour the liquid from the bag into a liquid measuring cup with the chicken broth. You should have about 1 cup of liquid; add additional chicken broth, if needed, to reach 1 cup.
4A) To make the sauce on the stovetop: Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 5 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in the chicken broth mixture and then slowly whisk into the shallots. Whisk until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and whisk in the capers, remaining butter, and juice from remaining lemon half.
4B) To make the sauce in your Suvie: Wipe Suvie pan dry. Add shallot, garlic, and olive oil to the now empty pan, stirring to combine. Broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
After the shallots have broiled, dissolve cornstarch in the chicken broth mixture and whisk into the shallots. Whisk in the capers and juice from remaining lemon half. Broil for 15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking halfway through cooking.
5) While the sauce cooks, season pasta with salt and pepper to taste and divide between plates. Cut chicken into ½” pieces and divide between the 4 plates. Pour sauce over the chicken and garnish with minced parsley.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 366, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 20g, Total Sodium 786mg, Total Protein 38g