Souvlaki is a popular street food in Greece where marinated meat is grilled on a skewer. We’ve opted to forgo the grill and use Suvie to cook chicken in this recipe. The chicken is marinated in olive oil and spices, and then sous vide to perfection. We’ve added a homemade tzatziki sauce to be served with the chicken but you can buy any brand premade at the grocery store as well. The chicken, served with warm pita and tzatziki, makes for a devilishly comforting weeknight dinner and leftovers can be saved for lunch the next day.
- 1½ lbs chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced, separated
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, separated
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 pitas, warmed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1) Season 1 1/2 lbs chicken cubes with salt and pepper. Vacuum seal chicken with 3 tbsp olive oil, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 sliced onion, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp cumin, ensuring chicken is evenly coated in marinade. Place vacuum bag in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and load into bottom cooking zone. Enter settings below and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 155°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 155°F for 1 hour
2) While the chicken cooks, make the tzatziki. Combine 1 chopped cucumber, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1 tbsp dill in a small bowl. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3) After the cook, remove the chicken bag from Suvie pan. Discard juices from bag and pat chicken and onions dry. Transfer chicken to a clean, dry Suvie pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Broil chicken until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
4) Divide chicken, pita bread, and tzatziki between plates and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 447, Total Fat 12.8g, Total Carbohydrates 28.2g, Total Sodium 598.9mg, Total Protein 54.7g