This gluten free dish is a warm and filling slow cooked meal brimming with rich beef, smoky vegetables, and fluffy masa dumplings. We start this dish on the skillet to render the bacon and brown the beef before transferring it to the Suvie to slow cook for over 3 hours. The masa dumplings are steamed during the slow cook process for a light, fluffy counterpart to the flavorful base of vegetables, meat, and spices.
Chipotle Beef with Masa Dumplings
Masa Dumpling Ingredients
- ½ cup masa
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
Beef Filling Ingredients
- 12 oz ground beef
- 1 piece bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro, to serve
1) In a large bowl stir together masa, warm water, baking powder, salt, and vegetable oil until combined; cover and set aside.
2) Heat chopped bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it starts to render, about 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the ground beef, onion, poblano, garlic, chipotle chile powder, and 1 tsp kosher salt, breaking up ground beef with a spoon.
Cook for 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
4) Transfer beef mixture and chicken broth to a Suvie pan. Drop rounded tablespoons of masa mixture on top of beef.
Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
5) After the cook, divide mixture between bowls, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 32g, Total Carbohydrates 27g, Total Sodium 1380mg, Total Protein 37g