These are not the dry, crumbly scones you’ve seen languishing at your local cafe. These are tender and soft cream scones punctuated with ruby red cranberries and flavored with orange zest, almond extract, and spicy ginger. These taste fantastic whether served English style with tea or American style with coffee. We cut the scones before baking to make them easier to pull apart once cooled.
Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest, from 1 large orange
1) In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, ½ tsp salt, 2 ½ tsp baking powder, and 1 tsp ground ginger. Add ½ cup grated butter and use your hands to mix together until crumbly. Add ½ cup dried cranberries, tossing to coat in flour.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup sugar, 1 egg, ½ cup heavy cream, 1 tsp almond extract, and 1 tbsp orange zest.
3) Add the wet ingredients to the dry, using a spatula to stir the ingredients together until the dough is rough and shaggy. Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and knead 8-10 times or until dough just comes together.
4) Transfer dough to a greased Suvie pan and spread into an even layer. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rest for 15 minutes. Once rested, use a bench scraper or knife to cut scones into 8 slices or triangles. Place the pan in the top zone of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes
5) After the cook, allow scones to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 350, Total Fat 18g, Total Carbohydrates 45g, Total Sodium 160mg, Total Protein 5g.