This hearty, spicy stew is the perfect dish to curl up with on a cold evening. We love to serve this delicious vegetarian meal with slices of toasted sourdough bread for dipping. This dish can be made vegan but omitting the sour cream.
Creamy Chickpea Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 tbsp sour cream
1) Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp red pepper flakes in a Suvie pan. Place pan in bottom of Suvie and roast at 400°F for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Remove pan from Suvie and immediately stir in 1 tbsp tomato paste until well combined. Then add the chickpeas and 4 cups vegetable broth (we find this is easiest if you place your pan halfway into Suvie and then pour the water in to avoid spilling). Return pan to Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours
3) Divide arugula between bowls. Remove soup from Suvie and stir 1 tbsp sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide between bowls, stirring arugula to wilt. Serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 210, Total Fat 4g, Total Carbohydrates 34g, Total Sodium 910mg, Total Protein 10g.