This delicious stew is creamy, flavorful, and filling, packed with leafy greens and beans in a rich peanut and tomato based broth. Served over fluffy white rice and topped with crunchy peanuts, this dish is as textural as it is flavorful. Amplify the flavors in the broth by seasoning with fresh lime juice and hot sauce to your liking. Like most stews, the flavor of this dish improves with time, so don’t worry if you find yourself with leftovers, because they will probably taste even better the next day!
Note: If you would like to schedule this cook, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the ingredients in Step 1 with 2 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
Creamy Peanut Stew with Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-inch piece) fresh ginger, minced
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bunch collard greens, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, to serve
1) Divide 1 red onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 piece ginger, and 1/3 cup tomato paste between 2 Suvie pans. Place pans in Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) While the vegetables broil, whisk 3 cups vegetable broth and 2/3 cup peanut butter together in a large bowl until smooth.
3) Remove pans from your Suvie. Divide 1 bunch collard greens, 2 cans black-eyed peas, peanut butter mixture, 2 tsp salt, and 2 cups water between both pans. Return pans to your Suvie, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 2 hours
4) Place 1 cup white rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Place lid on pot and place pot on the hot plate, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 Cup
5) Remove pans from your Suvie. Fluff rice with a fork. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. Divide rice and stew between 6 bowls and garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 870, Total Fat 34g, Total Carbohydrates 139g, Total Sodium 95mg, Total Protein 55g