This delicious stew is creamy, flavorful, and filling, packed with leafy greens and beans in a rich peanut-and-tomato-based broth. Served over fluffy white rice and topped with crunchy peanuts, this dish is as textural as it is flavorful. Amplify the flavors in the broth by seasoning with fresh lime juice and hot sauce to your liking. Like most stews, the flavor of this dish improves with time, so don’t worry if you find yourself with leftovers, because they will probably taste even better the next day!
Note: If you would like to schedule this cook, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the ingredients in Step 1 with 2 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
Creamy Peanut Stew with Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bunch collard greens, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 tbsp hot sauce, to serve
1) Divide red onion, garlic, ginger, and tomato paste between 2 Suvie pans. Insert pans into the top of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) While the vegetables broil, whisk vegetable broth and peanut butter together in a large bowl until smooth.
3) Remove pans from your Suvie. Divide collard greens, black-eyed peas, peanut butter mixture, 2 tsp salt, and 2 cups water between both pans. Place rice in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Return pans to your Suvie, fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 2 hours
Starch: 16 minutes
4) Remove pans from your Suvie. Fluff rice with a fork. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. Divide rice and stew between 6 bowls and garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 870, Total Fat 34g, Total Carbohydrates 139g, Total Sodium 95mg, Total Protein 55g