This decadent breakfast dish is one that dreams are made of. Flakey pieces of croissant are slow cooked with sharp cheese and sweet caramelized onions in a rich custard filling. A little bit of Dijon adds a slight tanginess that pairs well with the cheese. If desired, double down on the ham and cheese croissant vibes by adding a half cup of chopped ham in Step 3.
Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large croissants, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated fontina or gruyere
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
1) Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and ¼ tsp salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are browned, about 10 minutes.
2) Add 1 tbsp water to skillet and stir until water evaporates. Repeat once more until onions are soft and brown.
3) In a large bowl whisk together eggs, dijon, milk, and ½ tsp salt. Spray a Suvie pan with nonstick cooking spray and arrange croissants in the pan. Pour egg mixture over croissants. Stir in onions and cheese until will incorporated.
4) Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 1 hour
5) After the casserole has finished cooking, broil 5 minutes if desired, until golden.
6) Remove from Suvie and let cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 430, Total Fat 26g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Total Sodium 790mg, Total Protein 18g