Get all the flavors of a delicious beef and cheese enchilada with half the effort. This deconstructed version of our favorite Mexican dish is packed with meat and cheese in a rich tomato sauce. While corn tortillas are the traditional choice for enchiladas, we found that they became soggy during slow cooking. Instead, broiled flour tortillas stood up well to the long cooking time. This dish is fairly spicy; reduce the amount of pickled jalapenos if you’d like your enchiladas less fiery.
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz ground beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped, pickled jalapenos
1) Adjust oven rack to upper position and heat broiler. Arrange tortillas on a baking sheet, overlapping slightly. Broil tortillas until spotty brown and charred in spots, rotating sheet to cook evenly, about 1-2 minutes (watch closely as this step goes fast!). Flip tortillas over and repeat on the other side.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, ground beef, and 1 tsp salt. Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up beef into small pieces with a spoon until beef is no longer pink.
3) Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and cook, stirring constantly, until dark brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in 3/4 cup water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, mashing beef with a spoon until thick.
Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup shredded cheese and pickled jalapenos.
4) Tear and crumble tortillas into bite-sized pieces. Spray a Suvie pan with nonstick spray. Arrange half the tortillas along the bottom of the prepared pan, followed by the beef filling.
Cover beef with remaining tortillas followed by the remaining cheese. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
High, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
5) Broil enchilada casserole for 5 minutes, rotating pan halfway through until browned and bubbling.
6) Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 500, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Total Sodium 1120mg, Total Protein 27g