Unlike most barbecue recipes which can use a variety of hot peppers, this family-friendly chicken recipe is sweet and smoky to please all palates. When purchasing a BBQ seasoning mix at the grocery store look for options that don’t have cayenne or red pepper flake, which are two of the most common high heat ingredients. If you’d like to make your own seasoning mix at home combine 1 tbsp packed brown sugar, 2 ½ tsp smoked paprika, 2 ½ tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp cumin, and 2 tsp salt.
Note: If you would like, add 1-2 tsps homemade BBQ Seasoning to add even more flavor to this delicious meal.
BBQ Chicken with Macaroni Salad
- ¼ cup dry BBQ seasoning mix
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20 oz bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 6 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 large carrot
- 2 scallions
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1) In a small bowl, stir together BBQ seasoning mix, vegetable oil, and ½ tsp salt. If your store bought seasoning mix does not contain sugar, add 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Pat chicken thighs dry and then rub the BBQ mixture all over the chicken and under the skin. Nestle chicken into a Suvie pan and place in the bottom zone Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 3 hours
2) Place 6 oz macaroni into the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 2 cups, 9 minutes
3) While the chicken cooks, peel carrot and shred on the large holes of a box grater. Roughly chop scallions. Set carrots and scallions aside in the fridge until the chicken has finished cooking.
4) Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove macaroni and transfer to a large bowl. Broil chicken for 10-12 minutes, until crisp and fragrant.
5) While the chicken broils, stir mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, carrots, and scallions into the macaroni. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6) Remove chicken from Suvie and divide between plates with macaroni salad.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 705, Total Fat 52g, Total Carbohydrates 35g, Total Sodium 500mg, Total Protein 25g