Hamburger Helper was a dinner staple that we always looked forward to in our family growing up. This version hits all the same flavors as the original with ingredients from your cupboard. We’ve altered the original version with a dollop of sour cream to add a rich tanginess to the meaty sauce. We chose large elbow macaroni, but small elbows would work well also. Take a trip down memory lane with this decadent and delicious dinner.
Macaroni and Beef with Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz large elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder or 2 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1) Place ground beef in a Suvie pan. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper over the beef and stir gently to incorporate. Input settings, and cook now or schedule
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 1 hour
2) Place macaroni in a Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie starch pot (green handles). Place pot in the Suvie Starch Cooker. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 10 minutes
3) While the meat cooks, stir tomato paste, mustard powder, onion powder, and oregano together in a small bowl.
4) After the cook, drain oil from beef and stir in the tomato paste mixture. Broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
5) Remove starch pan from Suvie, reserving hot water from the bottom of the starch pot.
6) Transfer macaroni to a large bowl with ½ cup starch water. Add the beef, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, stirring to incorporate.
7) Add additional water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Divide between bowls and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 480, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 21g, Total Sodium 1140mg, Total Protein 32g