Hamburger Helper was a dinner staple that we always looked forward to in our family growing up. This version hits all the same flavors as the original with ingredients from your cupboard. We’ve also elevated this version with a dollop of sour cream to add a rich tanginess to the meaty sauce. We chose large elbow macaroni, but small elbows would work well also. Take a trip down memory lane with this decadent dinner.
Macaroni and Beef with Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz large elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder or 2 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1) Place ground beef in a Suvie pan. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper over the beef and stir gently to incorporate .
2) Place macaroni in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 1 hour
Starch: 12 minutes
3) While the meat cooks, stir tomato paste, mustard powder, onion powder, and oregano together in a small bowl.
4) After the cook, drain oil from beef and stir in the tomato paste mixture. Broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
5) Remove starch pan from Suvie, reserving hot water from the bottom of the starch pan.
Transfer macaroni to a large bowl with ½ cup starch water. Add the beef, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, stirring to incorporate.
Add additional water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Divide between bowls and serve.
Alternative Cooking Instructions
- To make this meal on the stovetop bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Drain and discard oil from skillet. Add the tomato paste, mustard powder, oregano, onion powder, and 1 tsp salt. Stir to combine and cook until tomato paste is dark red, about 3 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and return to pot with beef, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 480, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 21g, Total Sodium 1140mg, Total Protein 32g