Gado Gado, in Indonesian, literally means ‘mix-mix’, and that is exactly what you’ll be doing when pulling up to the table to enjoy this deliciously hearty salad. A plethora of veggies (green beans, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and radishes) act as the base for this dish. Savory tempeh, a fermented soybean product first made in Indonesia, is slathered in a sweet-spicy peanut sauce (the peanut sauce is also used as the dressing for our salad) and broiled a beautiful golden brown. The tempeh serves as a two-part protein boost with the hard boiled eggs. An overall impressive and tasty salad.
Gado Gado (Indonesian Salad with Peanut Sauce)
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz tempeh, cut into wedges
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp sambal
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup sliced cucumbers
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
1) Place the eggs in a Suvie pan and cover completely with water. Place the pan in the top right zone of your Suvie. Place tempeh and green beans in another Suvie pan; place pan in the top left zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Setting
Protein: 160°F, 1 hour
Vegetable: 8 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together peanut butter, water, soy sauce, lime juice, sambal, and garlic until blended. Cover and keep peanut sauce refrigerated until ready to serve.
3) After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie. Drain eggs and rinse with cold water. Once the eggs are cool, peel, halve, and set aside. Remove green beans, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
5) Spread half of the peanut sauce over the tempeh and return to the Suvie.
Broil for 10 minutes, turning the pan halfway through or until the tempeh is golden brown.
7) Divide cabbage, cucumber, carrots, radishes, eggs, and tempeh between 2 plates. Garnish the salads with scallions and serve with remaining peanut sauce on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 606, Total Fat 37g, Total Carbohydrates 34g, Total Sodium 618mg, Total Protein 43g