Skip the cookies this year and bring back an old-fashioned favorite with our dark and moist baked gingerbread. Packed with a plethora of spices, this dessert is less sweet than traditional gingerbread cookies and has a spicier edge. We recommend enjoying our gingerbread on its own or with something to complement the kick of spice, such as applesauce or whipped cream. For an easy last minute gift idea, double the batter and whip up a second gingerbread at the same time for a heart-warming homemade present.
[recipe title=”Gingerbread” servings=”8″ time=”25 minutes” difficulty=”1 hour”]
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup unsulfured molasses
- ½ cup hot water
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
1) In a large microwave-safe bowl, mix together ⅓ cup brown sugar, ⅔ cup molasses, ½ cup hot water, ¼ cup orange juice, and ⅓ cup butter. Microwave about 30 seconds, until butter melts and can be mixed in. Let cool, and whisk in 1 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, and 1 egg.
2) In a medium bowl, combine 1 ¾ cup flour, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp cloves, ¼ tsp pepper, ⅛ tsp allspice and 2 tsp orange zest. Mix dry ingredients into wet. Add batter to a parchment lined Suvie pan. Insert the pan into the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 1 hour (for Suvie 3.0, Bake at 300°F for 1 hour)
Top Zone: None
3) After cooking, remove pan from Suvie and let gingerbread cool completely in the pan. Remove gingerbread from pan and dust with 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Serve or wrap in plastic wrap to store.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 279, Total Fat 7.6g, Total Carbohydrates 49.7g, Total Sodium 322mg, Total Protein 3.7g