Juicy chicken thighs, meat briny olives, and toothsome wheat berries come together perfectly in this flavorful dish. Thin slices of lemon are layered underneath the chicken and slow cooked until tender; the entire slice, peel and all, can be eaten. Slow cooking the chicken for over two hours ensures it is tender and infused with flavor. The pan liquid is then used to season the wheat berries for a pop of flavor in every bite.
Green Olive Chicken
- 12 oz boneless-skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup pitted green olives such as castelvetrano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 tbsp minced fresh chives or parsley
1) Pat chicken dry and season liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Cut half the lemon into thin slices and set the other half aside until Step 4. Arrange lemon slices along the bottom of a Suvie pan, overlapping slightly.
2) Arrange chicken on top of the lemon slices along with the garlic cloves and olives. Drizzle olive oil over the chicken. Place pan in the top zone of your Suvie.
3 ) Place wheat berries in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 40 minutes
4) After the cook, broil chicken for 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking.
Remove pans from your Suvie. Season wheat berries with liquid from the chicken pan and divide between bowls. Top with chicken, olives, and garlic cloves. Season with fresh lemon juice and herbs.
Alternative Cooking Instructions:
- To make this recipe without a Suvie, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in wheat berries and simmer for 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, layer lemon slices along the bottom of an 8″ square baking dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper and arrange on top of the lemon slices with the garlic and olives; drizzle olive oil over the chicken. Roast chicken in a 450°F oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve chicken on top of wheat berries and garnish with herbs.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 630, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 70g, Total Sodium 420mg, Total Protein 49g