This comforting soup is perfect for chilly nights. Hot Italian sausage flavors the broth and permeates the entire soup with spice. A mix of pinto and white beans adds body and toothsome texture to every bite. This soup is made for modifications. Swap hot Italian for turkey or chicken sausages, arugula for spinach, chickpeas or black beans for the pintos and white beans. Add a couple slices of garlic bread and you’ve got a cozy evening ahead.
Hearty Sausage and Bean Soup
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
1) Remove casings from sausage and crumble mixture between two Suvie pans with 1 onion and 4 garlic cloves. Place pans in Suvie and broil for 20 minutes, or until browned and fragrant, rotating pans halfway through.
2) Divide ½ tsp fennel seeds, ½ tsp ground oregano, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can white beans, 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, and 6 cups chicken broth between both Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate. Place pans in Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 2 hours
3) Remove pans from Suvie, and stir in 4 cups spinach. Return pans to Suvie until spinach has wilted, about 10 minutes.
4) Remove pans from Suvie and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 500, Total Fat 26g, Total Carbohydrates 42g, Total Sodium 1530mg, Total Protein 28g.