This southern dish brings the heat and the sweet. Hot honey is a delicious condiment, made simply by combining hot sauce, savory spices, and honey. This homemade hot honey is slathered generously over portioned smoked slab pork belly (or slab bacon) and sous vide to seal in all those spicy-sweet flavors. Once cooked, the pork belly is broiled to add that perfect golden brown crisp. The grits are a creamy cheesy dream, perfectly cooked in the Suvie starch zone with butter and milk. Stir in shredded cheddar right before serving.
Hot Honey Pork Belly with Creamy Cheddar Grits
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 lb smoked slab bacon or pork belly, cut into quarters
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal grits or polenta
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
1) In a small bowl, whisk together honey, hot sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder until blended.
2) Spread hot honey sauce over the slab bacon quarters. Vacuum seal bacon using a vacuum sealer or with our DIY vacuum sealing guide. Place sealed bacon in a Suvie pan and fill the pan with water.
3) Place grits in the starch pan. Insert pan with bacon into the top right zone of your Suvie and place grits in the bottom right zone. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 165°F, 2 hours
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 20 minutes
4) After the cook, remove all the pans from your Suvie. Drain excess water from the protein pan, remove bacon from the vacuum-sealed bag, and wipe the Suvie pan dry with a paper towel. Return bacon to the top right zone and broil for 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until caramelized and crisp. Once broiled, remove the pan from your Suvie and cut bacon into 1 inch pieces.
5) While the bacon broils, transfer grits and any remaining liquid from the starch pan to a medium bowl.
Add cheese, milk, and butter, stirring to combine. Once the cheese has melted, season to taste with salt and pepper.
6) To serve, divide grits between 4 bowls and top with bacon and scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 742, Total Fat 41g, Total Carbohydrates 27g, Total Sodium 2168mg, Total Protein 57g