Calabria, located in the southeastern tip of Italy where eggplants grow plentifully, is home to the classic dish Melanzane Ripiene, or “stuffed eggplant”. This hearty dish is versatile in both preparation and presentation: melanzane ripiene can be prepared vegetarian or with meat, and it can either be served warm or at room temperature. We liked this dish best without meat to let the texture and flavor or the eggplant shine. Pair your stuffed eggplant with a simple salad and a glass of Italian wine for an elegant and easy dinner.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating you can saute the eggplant and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until softened, instead of broiling in Step 2.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus extra for serving
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 large egg, beaten
1) Stem eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out flesh from eggplant and finely chop, leaving the skin and about ¼” flesh attached.
2) Transfer chopped eggplant to a Suvie pan and drizzle with olive oil. Insert pan into your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, or until softened.
3) In a medium bowl, stir together the chopped eggplant, garlic, marinara, breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan cheese, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper, and egg.
4) Season each eggplant half with ¼ tsp salt. Divide marinara mixture between both eggplants and then place each eggplant in a Suvie pan. Insert pans into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 2 hours
5) Remove eggplants from your Suvie and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with extra parsley and parmesan cheese.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pans into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 2 hours.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 220, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 20g, Total Sodium 580mg, Total Protein 8g