Merluza en Salsa Verde, or Hake in Green Sauce, is a classic Basque dish consisting of fresh white fish in a vibrant, parsley-based sauce. This uncomplicated and unfussy dish may be simple, but it is far from unrefined. The short ingredient list allows the fish to truly shine and sous viding the fish ensures it is never overcooked. The sauce is made of alliums, clam broth, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, and just a little cornstarch to pull it all together. This dish can easily be doubled to accommodate more people, but you may need to broil the sauce for 20 minutes in order to achieve the right consistency.
Merluza en Salsa Verde
- 2 (5 oz) hake or cod filets
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (8 oz) clam broth or fish stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley, separated
1) Stir garlic, onion, and olive oil together in a Suvie pan. Insert into the top left zone of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Vacuum seal hake filets and place in a Suvie pan. Cover with water and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie.
3) Whisk half the parsley, clam broth, and cornstarch into the onion mixture, until the cornstarch dissolves.
4) Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F for 30 minutes
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
5) Once the fish has finished cooking, remove fish from vacuum bags and pat dry. Whisk onion mixture to reincorporate and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6) Remove pan from Suvie and whisk in the lemon juice and remaining chopped parsley. Divide hake between plates, spooning salsa verde over each filet.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 300, Total Fat 22g, Total Carbohydrates 6g, Total Sodium 970mg, Total Protein 22g