Minestrone is a vegetable-based Italian soup with a myriad of variations. Minestrone is an ideal choice when you have an assemblage of vegetables in the refrigerator that need using up. If you’re short on fresh produce, a bag of mixed frozen vegetables is quick and easy to use instead. Like the vegetables, your choice of pasta is broad too: any small pasta will do. In this recipe we undercook the pasta so that when it is incorporated with the hot vegetables it will be the ideal texture. Use this recipe as a template to develop your perfect version of minestrone soup.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb mixed vegetables, about 4 cups, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 cup small pasta, such as elbow, ditalini, or orzo
- ½ cup basil or parsley leaves
- 2 oz Parmesan, for serving
1) Divide onion, garlic, olive oil, and a large pinch of salt between 2 Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate. Broil for 12 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
2) Remove pans from Suvie. Divide cannellini beans (with liquid), diced tomatoes (with liquid), 1 cup water or broth, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, and mixed vegetables between the two Suvie pans, stirring to incorporate. Return pans to Suvie, input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High, 1 hour 30 minutes
3) Place 1 cup pasta in the Suvie Starch Strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring the pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Pasta, 1 Cup, 8 minutes
4) After the cook, divide the pasta evenly between 4 bowls. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper and then ladle over the pasta. Finely chop basil. Divide basil between servings, stirring to incorporate. Garnish with an ample showering of Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 363, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 62g, Total Sodium 1,887mg, Total Protein 14g.