Umami-rich miso is the perfect accompaniment to hearty sous vide strip steaks. Red miso paste is aged for longer than other varieties, giving it a pungent savoriness that can handle assertive flavors like steak. A side of sugar snap peas adds a welcome sweetness that balances the savory flavors in the rest of the dish.
Miso Strip Steaks with Sugar Snap Pea Salad
- 2 (12 oz) strip steaks
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp red miso paste
- 10 oz sugar snap peas, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
1) Season steaks liberally with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Vacuum seal steaks, place in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and place inside the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 125°F for 2 hours
Top Zone: None
2) Place 1 cup jasmine rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover lid with pot and place inside the Suvie starch cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
3) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together 4 tbsp softened butter and 1 tbsp red miso paste. Set aside.
4) Once the steaks have finished cooking, remove from packaging and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Heat a large cast iron or heavy skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 tsp vegetable oil, swirling to coat and then add the steaks. Sear for 1 minute and then flip and add the miso butter mixture and cook on the second side for 1 minute, basting the steaks with the butter. Remove skillet from heat and transfer steaks to a cutting board.
5) Add sugar snap peas and half the scallions to the pan, stirring to coat in residual butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat to avoid overcooking.
6) Fluff rice with a fork and divide between plates. Slice steak against the grain and arrange on top of the rice. Divide snap pea mixture between plates and garnish with remaining scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 670, Total Fat 30g, Total Carbohydrates 65g, Total Sodium 910mg, Total Protein 56g.