Fortified with almond butter and spiked with instant espresso, this bowl of mocha-inspired oatmeal only tastes sinfully decadent. This recipe utilizes whole grains, uses minimal sugar, and has crunchy toasted almonds for a satisfying and energizing breakfast. Almond milk gives this oatmeal a rich, creamy texture, but substituting water or a combination of almond milk and water will lighten the dish without sacrificing its chocolatey intensity. The deep chocolate flavor gets its boost from instant espresso powder, a pantry favorite often used to lend complexity to baked goods. To amp up flavor without the caffeine, seek out a decaffeinated variety.
Mocha Almond Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups almond milk or water
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sugar or agave, or more if desired
- 1 tbsp instant espresso
- 2 tbsp toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
1) Stir together oats, almond milk or water, almond butter, cocoa powder, sugar, instant espresso, and 1/2 tsp salt in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into one of the top zones of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the oatmeal has finished cooking, remove pan from your Suvie, stir to combine, and adjust seasoning to taste. Divide oatmeal between bowls, garnish with toasted sliced almonds, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe, using almond milk): Calories 296, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 39g, Total Sodium 42mg, Total Protein 11g