This classic Chinese-American takeout dish, despite the name, has nothing to do with Mongolian cuisine and actually originated in Taiwan. This sweet and savory meal is a family friendly favorite. We’ve added a touch of cayenne pepper for a little spice, but you can omit it to keep it more traditional.
- 1 lb flank steak or skirt steak, trimmed
- 3 large scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled, minced ginger
- ¼ cup brown packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together scallion whites, 4 minced cloves garlic, 1 piece minced ginger, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into a resealable freezer bag with the flank steak and seal.
2) Transfer sealed steak to a Suvie pan, cover completely with water, and insert into bottom of Suvie. Input settings below and cook now or schedule. Place 1 cup jasmine rice in a Suvie rice pot and insert into your Suvie Starch Cooker. Input settings for long grain rice, fill reservoir, and schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 120°F for 2 hours
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 120°F for 2 hours
3) After the steak is done cooking, pour marinade into a small saucepan. Divide steak between two Suvie roasting racks set within two Suvie pans. Return to Suvie and roast for 10 minutes or until browned and fragrant.
4) Meanwhile, dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 1 tbsp hot water and whisk into marinade. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
5) After the steak is finished broiling, transfer to a cutting board and slice against the grain into thin pieces. Transfer to saucepan with marinade, stirring to coat in sauce. Fluff jasmine rice and divide between bowls. Top rice with steak and garnish with scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 410, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 72g, Total Sodium 590mg, Total Protein 30g.