This simple recipe makes a hearty and delicious stew that will warm you up during these cold winter months. The mushrooms and barley help fill you up while the spices, ginger and spicy mustard give this stew a unique and flavorful broth not found in many standard barley stews. This recipe can be easily doubled and used to fill the freezer or a larger crowd.
Mushroom Barley Stew
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup barley
1) Divide 8 oz mushrooms, 1 onion, and 2 garlic cloves between two Suvie pans. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over each pan and then stir to combine. Place pans in Suvie and broil for 10-15 minutes or until softened.
2) After the broil, pour off any excess water from the pans and then combine vegetables in one Suvie pan. Add 3 carrots, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, and 1/4 wine to the pan and stir to combine. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 3 hours and 30 minutes
3) Place 1/2 cup barley and 2 tsp salt in the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles) with 2 tsp salt. Cover pot with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input cook settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Grains, Barley, 40 minutes
4) After the cook, remove the stew and barley from Suvie. Stir the barley into the stew, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with warm crusty bread.