In its most basic form kugel is an Ashkenazi Jewish casserole that is filled with starch (potato, pasta, rice, or bread) and baked. From here, ingredients and methods can go in a myriad of directions; there are as many opinions on how to make kugel as there are ways to make it. Some kugel recipes are savory, while others are sweet. Some employ toppings such as corn flakes or streusel, while others go bare. The filling can be made with eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, or cottage cheese, and flavored with extracts, zests, and spices. Our version is sweet and creamy with equal amounts of vanilla and cinnamon for a warm, autumnal vibe. There is no extra topping in our recipe, but the finished kugel is broiled until crisp, which creates crunchy bits of noodle that are irresistibly delicious.
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz full fat cottage cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the egg noodles and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, whisk eggs and granulated sugar together until frothy, about 1 minute. Add melted butter, sour cream, cottage cheese, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 1 tsp salt and whisk to thoroughly combine, about 1 minute.
3) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray. Add noodles to the bowl with egg mixture, stirring to coat. Transfer to prepared Suvie pan. Insert pan into your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 1 hour
4) Once the kugel is done cooking, broil for 5-7 minutes or until browned, rotating pan halfway through cooking.
5) Cut into pieces and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 1 hour.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 400, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 39g, Total Sodium 590mg, Total Protein 15g