Our take on Peruvian chicken relies on a fragrant blend of herbs and spices to mimic the smoky flavors found in this traditional rotisserie dish. Smoked paprika adds warm smoky notes while cumin and oregano add earthiness and herbaceousness. Peruvian chicken is often served with a mayonnaise-based green sauce that’s fresh and vibrant, but not usually spicy. Instead of mayo we use avocado to play up its verdant color while maintaining its creamy texture.
Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
For the Chicken
- 1 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
For the Sauce
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ avocado
1) In a small bowl, stir together 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp oregano, and 1 tsp kosher salt.
2) Pat chicken dry and rub all over with spice mixture, spreading under skin. Transfer chicken to a Suvie pan and insert into the bottom zone of your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 2 hours
3) While the chicken cooks, combine 1 jalapeño, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 tsp lime juice, ½ tsp kosher salter, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, and 1/2 avocado in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping and scraping sides of bowl as needed.
4) After the cook, broil chicken for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking until skin is crisp and golden. Divide chicken between plates and serve with green sauce on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 370, Total Fat 20g, Total Carbohydrates 2g, Total Sodium 760mg, Total Protein 43g.