Sweet and earthy parsnips make a great addition to mashed potatoes. Not only do they add another layer of flavor to our favorite spuds, but they also can handle vigorous mashing without becoming gluey. Sour cream and butter add creaminess and tanginess, while a shower of chives adds a fresh pop of color and flavor. This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd; divide the parsnips and potatoes between 2 Suvie pans.
Potato Parsnip Mash
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and into ¼” thick coins
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and into ¼” thick coins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp minced fresh chives
1) Combine parsnips, potatoes, 1 cup boiling water, and ½ tsp salt in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 4 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, mash potatoes and parsnips until smooth.
3) Stir butter and sour cream into the mash and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 200, Total Fat 10g, Total Carbohydrates 28g, Total Sodium 210mg, Total Protein 3g