This fork tender pot roast is a deliciously hearty meal. Thick sliced portions of beef chuck roast are amply seasoned with salt and pepper before searing to a dark golden brown. The beef is then nestled in a bed of mirepoix and topped with a rich, wine-laced braising liquid before slow cooking. Baby potatoes are the classic accompaniment to this traditional dish, which are steamed until tender and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. A side of hearty French bread is used to soak up all that delicious pan-sauce. For a thicker gravy, remove the roast and veggies from the pans, strain the sauce into a saucepan, and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Red Wine and Butter Pot Roast with New Potatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2½ lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4-8 slices crusty French bread
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cut the roast into 4 portions about 10 oz each to better fit in the Suvie. Pat beef dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place beef into the skillet and sear until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
2) Divide the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery between two Suvie pans. In a large bowl, whisk wine, butter, broth, tomato paste, and Dijon together until smooth.
3) Nestle the seared roast into the vegetable mixture and pour the broth mixture over.
Place the pans into the top two zones of your Suvie. Place the potatoes into the starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
Low, 6 hours
Starch: 30 minutes
4) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the potatoes, vegetables, pot roast, and pan sauce between 4 bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve with bread slices on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 891, Total Fat 47g, Total Carbohydrates 46g, Total Sodium 1892mg, Total Protein 39g