This fork tender pot roast is a deliciously hearty meal. Thick sliced portions of beef chuck roast are amply seasoned with salt and pepper before searing to a dark golden brown. The beef is then nestled in a bed of mirepoix and topped with a rich, wine-laced braising liquid before slow cooking. Baby potatoes are the classic accompaniment to this traditional dish, which are steamed until tender and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. A side of hearty French bread is used to soak up all that delicious pan-sauce. For a thicker gravy, remove the roast and veggies from the pans, strain the sauce into a saucepan, and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Red Wine and Butter Pot Roast with New Potatoes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 ½ lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4-8 slices crusty French bread
1) Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with kosher salt and pepper. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place beef into the skillet and sear until browned, about 30 seconds per side.
2) Divide 1 onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 carrots, and 1 stalk celery between two Suvie pans. In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup wine, 1/4 cup butter, 2 cups broth, 2 tbsp tomato paste, and 1 tbsp Dijon together until smooth.
3) Nestle the beef into the vegetable mixture and pour the broth mixture over. Place the pans into Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 6 hours
4) Add 1 lb potatoes to the Suvie starch strainer set within the Suvie pasta pot (green handles). Cover pot with lid and place pot in the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Enter cook settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Potatoes, Uncut, 45 minutes
5) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the potatoes, vegetables, pot roast, and pan sauce between 4 bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve with bread slices on the side.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 891, Total Fat 47g, Total Carbohydrates 46g, Total Sodium 1892mg, Total Protein 39g