This skillet recipe is quick, delicious, and easy – perfect when you want dinner on the table fast. Suvie’s Italian sausages are just as good seared as they are sous vide. First, we sauté the sausage to infuse the oil with flavor and then add the kale along with garlic and red pepper flakes for greens that are anything but boring. If you like, serve this dish with pasta, bread, or polenta to round out the meal.
Sausage, Beans, and Greens
- 4 small Italian sausages or 2 large, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cups hearty greens, such as kale or chard, torn into large pieces
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, such as navy or cannellini
1) If using large sausages, cut in half widthwise. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sausages and cook for 2 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Remove sausages, leaving oil in the pan and transfer to a plate.
2) Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, ½ tsp salt, and hearty greens to the saucepan, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3) Stir the white beans and their liquid into the pot, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, or until greens are tender.
4) Stir sausages into greens and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide mixture between plates and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 390, Total Fat 21g, Total Carbohydrates 27g, Total Sodium 950mg, Total Protein 23g