This satisfying breakfast bowl is packed with tender barley, savory bacon, tangy pickled onions, steamed spinach, rich avocado, and soft eggs for a delicious way to start your day. To ensure the eggs cook to the right consistency (just set whites with runny yolks) be sure to transfer the eggs from your Suvie to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. See our guide on sous vide eggs if you’d like to cook your eggs differently.
Savory Breakfast Grain Bowl
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup barley
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 pieces bacon, chopped
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ avocado, peeled and pitted and sliced
1) Place eggs in a Suvie pan, cover with water and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Place barley in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Place spinach in a second Suvie pan and insert into the top left zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-zone Settings
Protein: 155°F for 45 minutes
Vegetable: 5 minutes
Starch: 50 minutes
2) While the eggs cook, heat bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 6 minutes until rendered and crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain and set aside until ready to serve. Stir red onion and vinegar together in a small bowl until ready to serve.
3) After the cook, remove all pans from your Suvie and transfer eggs to a large bowl with cold water.
4) Divide barley and spinach between 2 bowls. Drizzle bacon bits and rendered bacon fat over each serving and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Crack sous vide eggs into 2 small bowls. Lift eggs out with a slotted spoon, allowing excess egg white to drip back into the bowl, and place on top of barley. Divide avocado and pickled red onion between plates and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 430, Total Fat 18g, Total Carbohydrates 49g, Total Sodium 470mg, Total Protein 20g