This dramatic rice dish is as beautiful as it is delicious. Succulent shrimp are sous vide and then broiled with chile powder and cayenne pepper for a flavorful finish. We serve the shrimp on top of fragrant black rice with a side of tangy jicama slaw. For more information on jicama and where to find it, see our article on jicama here.
Spicy Shrimp with Jicama Slaw
- 8 oz peeled, deveined shrimp, vacuum sealed
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp chile powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
1) Place shrimp in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie pan. Place black rice in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F for 1 hour
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 20 minutes
2) While the shrimp cooks, combine jicama and shallot together in a medium bowl. Juice lime over vegetables and stir in ½ tsp salt. Stir to coat and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3) After the cook, remove shrimp from packaging and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl with the chile powder, cayenne pepper, vegetable oil, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper, tossing to coat. Place vegetable strainer in a Suvie pan and arrange shrimp on top. Insert pan into your Suvie and broil 6 minutes or until fragrant and browned
4) Divide black rice between bowls and top with shrimp. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper and add to bowl. Garnish each serving with cilantro leaves and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 400, Total Fat 7g, Total Carbohydrates 55g, Total Sodium 460mg, Total Protein 36g