This delicious strata makes an easy meal whether you want to enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Hearty cubes of sourdough bread come together with verdant spinach, roasted red peppers, eggs, milk, and silky fontina cheese and are slow cooked until the strata develops a custard-like texture. The top is then broiled for a crisp finish that is the ideal contrast to the tender base.
Spinach and Red Pepper Strata
- 4 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1″ cubes
- 12 oz frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz grated fontina cheese
1) Allow bread cubes to sit out overnight or broil in Suvie for 10 minutes to dry out, stirring halfway through cooking. In a large bowl, stir together 4 cups bread, 12 oz spinach, ½ cup roasted red peppers, and 4 oz grated fontina cheese until combined. Transfer to a greased Suvie pan.
2) Whisk together 2 cups milk, 2 large eggs, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper until smooth. Pour mixture over bread and vegetables, and pat bread down to ensure each piece is submerged. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 2 hours
3) After cooking, broil strata for 12 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking, until browned. Cut into slices and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 400, Total Fat 18g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 1070mg, Total Protein 23g.