Celebrate the flavors of spring with this decadent strawberry cake. A combination of fresh strawberry puree and freeze-dried strawberries, ensures deep strawberry flavor in every bite. A tangy cream cheese frosting is the perfect pairing for this vibrant dessert.
Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Frosting
- 2 oz freeze-dried strawberries
- 1⅓ cups cake flour
- 1 cup hulled strawberries
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ kosher salt
- 2 egg whites
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1) Place 2 oz freeze-dried strawberries in the bowl of a food processor. Blend on high until powdery, about 1-2 minutes. Let food processor sit for 1-2 minutes before opening to allow dust to settle. Set aside ¼ cup strawberry powder, and whisk the remainder into a bowl with 1⅓ cups cake flour.
2) Transfer fresh strawberries to the empty food processor and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, pulsing and scraping down the bowl as needed.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1 stick softened butter, ¾ cup sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Mix on low to combine and then increase to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4) With the mixer running, add the egg whites one at a time until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add half the flour mixture. Mix on low to incorporate then add half the fresh strawberry puree. Repeat with remaining flour and strawberry puree, pausing to allow each to incorporate before adding the next.
5) Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl and then transfer to a greased and parchment lined Suvie pan. Place pan in the bottom of Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes (for Suvie 2.0, Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes)
Top Zone: None
6) Remove cake from Suvie and allow to cool completely in the pan. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 8 oz cream cheese and 4 tbsp softened butter. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stop mixer and add reserved strawberry powder and 1 cup powdered sugar. Pulse on low a couple time to incorporate, then slowly increase speed to medium and beat until fluffy and light, about 3 minutes.
7) Invert cake onto a serving platter and remove parchment. Spread frosting all over the cake, cut into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (10 servings per recipe): Calories 320, Total Fat 22g, Total Carbohydrates 29g, Total Sodium 140mg, Total Protein 4g.