While we really love potato salad and macaroni salad, sometimes a barbecue needs a crisp, green side for a little color and for a little texture. We cook the green beans briefly so that they still have a little snap and then toss them together with juicy cherry tomatoes and perfectly chewy wheat berries, which are toasted to add a satisfying crunch. If you’d prefer your wheat berries less crisp you can forgo the toasting step. Fresh basil and lemon zest add a pop of flavor to all those delicious textural elements. This salad is even better the next day once the flavors have a change to meld, so make it a day in advance and you’ll be prepared for any picnic or cookout.
Summer Green Bean Salad
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp separated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Place green beans in a Suvie pan and insert into the top left zone of your Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 0 minutes
Vegetable: 12 minutes
Starch: 35 minutes
- While the green beans steam, cut tomatoes in half. In a large bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Set aside.
- After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie and pat green beans dry. Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the wheat berries and cook, stirring often, until they dry out and begin to pop, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer wheat berries, tomatoes, and green beans to bowl with dressing, stirring to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 182, Total Fat 7g, Total Carbohydrates 26g, Total Sodium 388mg, Total Protein 5g