5 ingredients are all you need to make a delicious sweet, salty, umami-packed braise. Soy sauce adds a salty punch that is amplified by the umami-accenting flavors of the shiitake mushrooms and beef short ribs. Brown sugar adds sweetness that helps marry the fatty richness of the beef with the salty soy. Garnish with sharp green onions for contrast.
Note: This recipe requires Suvie 2.0 and the Suvie Starch Cooker. To prepare this dish in Suvie 1.0, set the rice to cook for 15 minutes in Step 3. Follow remaining instructions as directed.
Sweet Soy Braised Short Ribs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 24 oz boneless beef short ribs
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 cup jasmine rice
1) Whisk together the brown sugar and soy sauce until the sugar is dissolved.
2) Place the beef short ribs in a Suvie pan. Nestle the shiitake mushrooms and the scallion whites around the short ribs, reserve the scallion greens for garnishing. Place the pan in the upper cooking zone of Suvie. Input settings below.
3) Place 1 cup jasmine rice and 2 tsp salt in a Suvie rice pot and place in the Suvie Starch Cooker. Fill reservoir, enter cook settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low, 8 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook Low, 8 hours
4) After the cook, push the mushrooms and scallions to the side so the beef is exposed. Baste the beef with the sauce in the pan, then broil for 8 minutes until browned.
5) Fluff the jasmine rice with a fork, adjust seasoning to taste and divide between plates. Top with the short ribs and their sauce, and garnish with the reserved scallions.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 486, Total Fat 24g, Total Carbohydrates 37g, Total Sodium 408mg, Total Protein 40g.