Jarritos are a brand of soft drink in Mexico with a variety of fun and fruity flavors. One of Jarritos most popular soft drink flavors is tamarind, and the inspiration behind this bbq chicken recipe. Tamarind, this well-loved ingredient throughout Latin America, provides a fantastic sweet-tart flavor. We simmer dried ancho chili peppers in the soda before blending them with more traditional bbq sauce ingredients. The result is semi-sweet and smoky bbq chicken and it’s absolutely finger-licking delicious! If Jarritos soft drinks are not available in your area, feel free to substitute with Dr. Pepper mixed with 1 tbsp of tamarind paste.
Tamarind Jarritos and Ancho BBQ Chicken
- 1 bottle (12 oz) Jarritos Tamarind flavored soda
- 2 dried ancho chili peppers
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in half
1) Place 12 oz tamarind soda in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, add 2 dried ancho chili peppers and simmer for 10 minutes or until the peppers have softened. Remove the saucepan from the heat to cool slightly. Remove and discard the stems and seeds from the peppers.
2) Place trimmed peppers, ½ cup tamarind soda (from the saucepan), 1 cup ketchup, ¼ cup tomato paste, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, and ½ tsp of salt in the bowl of a food processor, and blend until smooth.
3) Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and place in a large bowl. Add 3/4 of the bbq sauce and toss to coat (reserve the remaining bbq sauce to use later). Line two Suvie pans with aluminum foil. Divide chicken between the two pans and insert the pans into your Suvie.
Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes
Top Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes
4) To finish the chicken, brush with reserved bbq sauce and return to your Suvie. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until cooked through and fragrant.
5) After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie. Divide chicken between 4 plates or place on a large serving platter. Garnish chicken with chopped cilantro and lime before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 1026, Total Fat 55g, Total Carbohydrates 73g, Total Sodium 1307mg, Total Protein 60g.