This delicious Tex-Mex rice bowl is filled with tender black beans, juicy chicken breast, melty cheese, earthy cumin, and fragrant chili powder. This recipe is a cinch to prepare and is one the whole family will enjoy. To serve 8-12 people, this recipe easily can be doubled and split between two Suvie pans.
Tex-Mex Chicken, Cheese, and Black Bean Rice Bowls
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 6 oz shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges, to serve
1) Place 1 cup rice in the Suvie rice pot (black handles) and cover with lid. Place pot inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 Cup
2) In a Suvie pan, stir together 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 tbsp chili powder. Place pan in the bottom zone of Suvie and roast at 450°F for 10 minutes, or until fragrant.
3) Remove pan from Suvie and stir in 1 can undrained black beans, 1 can undrained green chilies, and 1 tsp kosher salt. Season chicken breasts all over with kosher salt and black pepper. Nestle chicken into the bean mixture. Place in Suvie, input settings and cook now. Rotate pan halfway through cooking.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 375°F for 35 minutes
Top Zone: None
4) After cooking, transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board to cool slightly, about 5-10 minutes. Stir shredded cheese into the black bean mixture. Shred or chop chicken into bite sized pieces and stir back into the bean mixture, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
5) Divide rice between bowls and top with beans and chicken. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 500, Total Fat 17g, Total Carbohydrates 52g, Total Sodium 1090mg, Total Protein 46g.