We love roasted beets for their earthy sweetness, which only intensifies the longer you cook them. The easiest way to prepare beets is to scrub them well, roast with the skin on, and then peel them just before serving – no need to peel and chop in advance; once cooked the skin comes off easily. We halve our beets to ensure they fit well in the Suvie and serve on top of Greek yogurt or sour cream, which is the perfect creamy and tangy contrast to the earthy beets.
The Best Roast Beets
- 2 lbs beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream, optional
1) Cut beets in half lengthwise (quarter any especially large beets) and transfer to a large bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper. Toss beets until fully coated and then divide between two Suvie pans, cut-side down. Arrange thyme sprigs on top of beets. Insert into Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 375°F for 60 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 375°F for 60 minutes
2) After the cook, allow beets to cool for 5 minutes before scraping skin off with a spoon or butter knife and cutting into wedges.
3) Spread Greek yogurt or sour cream (if using) over the bottom of a serving platter and season with salt to taste. Arrange beets over the platter, sprinkling with additional thyme leaves.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 90, Total Fat 3g, Total Carbohydrates 15g, Total Sodium 120mg, Total Protein 3g.