No frosting needed for this upside-down take on our classic Chocolate Stout Cake. We start this rich coffee and chocolate cake with ripe bananas in a brown sugar syrup, and finish it with a drizzle of toasty peanut butter. It’s a timeless combination of sweet and salty that makes for the perfect coffee break any time of day.
Upside-Down Banana Chocolate Cake
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted, plus 4 tbsp room temperature, divided
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar, plus ⅔ cup, divided
- 2 bananas, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- ⅓ cup strong coffee or brewed espresso, room temperature
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
1) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. Pour 3 tbsp melted butter over the bottom of a Suvie pan, sprinkle with ⅓ cup brown sugar, and lay banana pieces cut side down on the bottom of the pan.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together 4 tbsp softened butter and ⅔ cup brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl, add 1 egg and beat on medium speed until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add 3 tbsp sour cream and beat on slow speed until incorporated, about 15 seconds. Add ⅓ cup strong coffee and beat on slow speed until incorporated, about 15 seconds.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together ⅔ cup flour, ½ tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
4) Spoon batter evenly over the bananas, spreading into the corners and edges with a spatula. Insert the pan into the bottom zone of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes
Top Zone: None
5) After cooking, remove pan from Suvie and let cake cool 20 minutes in the pan. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a serving dish. Microwave ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter for 30 seconds and stir. Drizzle warm peanut butter over chocolate cake and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 320, Total Fat 14.8g, Total Carbohydrates 42.3g, Total Sodium 162.8mg, Total Protein 5.1g